What Insurance Should Pest Management Professionals Carry?

If you want your business to be protected against certain unpredictable losses, you will need to sign up for the relevant insurance policies. This applies to everyone and all business types, including the pest management industry.

As a pest-control professional, you’ll want to protect yourself and your business with the following types of insurance:

General Liability

General liability refers to off-premise work that might lead to certain undesired consequences. Chemical spillage or residues that might lead to further health hazards or contamination are covered under this insurance policy.

General liability is an insurance policy that can help your own staff in the case of minor injuries or negligence or your clients for any undesired after-effects of your pest-management services.

Professional Liability

While general liability may lean more towards physical errors and damages towards your client or their properties, the professional liability insurance insures you against your own financial damages.

This insurance would come in handy if you have given bad advice and were negligent while performing your field work, and it should be one of the top insurance priorities that you need to get.

Property Insurance

Unlike your other insured assets, pesticides and other similar chemicals are more at risk of property damages than theft damages.

If you or your clients have your own chemical storage, property insurance could protect you against the potential damages that arise from improper chemical storage, labelling or worse, flammability.

This is an insurance policy that can protect both your clients and you as well, especially if there are chemical storage systems involved.

Commercial Auto Insurance

As a pesticide management business owner, your commercial transport has higher automobile exposure compared to other businesses. This is because you are transporting chemicals from one place to another.

Throughout each entire journey, your chemicals are at risk of spillage and possible upsetting.

In certain states, you might even need to have a hazardous materials endorsement before you can transport the chemicals you use.

Worker’s Compensation Insurance

When you are working with a chemical-based job, your workers are at high risk of chemical exposure and hazards.

These hazards can range from anything as minor as slipping during chemical application, injuries from using certain tools, to bodily irritation from overexposure to these chemicals.

The worker’s compensation insurance is actually a legal requirement in most states, but it is even more recommended where chemical exposure or other high-risk work are involved.

Environmental Impairment Insurance

At times, business managers and directors could be held responsible personally for any environmental accidents.

In the pest management sector, this means that any chemical spillage that might harm the environment can make your business or even you liable.

The environmental impairment insurance will protect you and your business against such liabilities.

Inland Marine Coverage

Otherwise known as the contractor’s equipment insurance, inland marine coverage protects your tools and equipment from any damage costs arising from its transportation from your business to a client’s grounds.

In the case in which your chemicals or tools are damaged or spilt during the transportation process, this insurance protects you against any liabilities, as long as the tools are not easily damaged to start.

Electronic Data Coverage

You might know this insurance as the cyber liability insurance. If your business has an online storefront where your customers can contact you and store their information, you already have some risks of being hacked.

To protect your business and your clients’ identities and personal information, the electronic data coverage will protect your business from liabilities and contribute towards data recovery should your business data get hacked.