If you are a resident of Dubai, you probably will have difficulty finding free natural source of wood materials nearby to do any woodwork project. You may try scrap wood materials or driftwood for art projects.
Whatever type of woodwork project you are thinking about, you will need the right equipment, artisan skills and the right wood materials to achieve it. Obviously, you cannot just go to a park and cut a tree for the timber that you need.
You may purchase from a lumber shop or hardware store but you may not be able to get the best materials at the most affordable price.
On the other hand, you can have a more cost-effective project if you simply search for joinery companies in Dubai (or wherever you are located) and hire a company that can provide you top quality services at a reasonable price.
- Determine the category of woodwork you need
Many joinery or woodwork companies specialize in specific categories. You have a better chance of finding the most appropriate company if you know on what category you want to focus on.
- Garden structures – If you want pergolas, gazebos, decks and roofed pathways for your garden, you should find companies that specialize in constructing garden structures.
- Recreational facility – This includes sauna baths, Jacuzzis, and audio-visual entertainment rooms or home music studios.
- Furniture – You can have customized furniture that includes living room sets, dining room sets, bedroom sets, closets and cupboards.
- Finishing – Some companies specialize in decorative wooden panels for walls and ceilings. You may also ask for customized wooden doors.
- Renovation – This refers to projects that are based on existing structures needing to be repaired, improved or replaced. For parts of the house that do not have wood as the major component, you need other contractors such as in the case of kitchen renovation wherein you will require the expertise of plumbers.
- House construction – You may hire contractors specializing in woodwork to construct a new house made of wood. The wooden frames, doors, beams, floors, pillars and walls can be prefabricated and assemble onsite.
- Decide on the specific project that you want
Do you want to install wooden pergolas and gazebos for your garden? Do you want to build a sauna bath in your backyard or even inside your office building?
Do you want to have an elegant walk-in closet made out of wood? How about hardwood countertops and islands with storage compartments for your kitchen? Do you want to have a log cabin built in your woodland property? Be specific as possible and learn how to prioritize which projects you need to finish first.
- Take some rough onsite measurements
You should have a clear idea of how big the woodwork structure would be once constructed. You can take some rough measurements based on what type of structure you want constructed.
For instance, if it is a garden deck you want, you should measure the area of your garden where you intend for it to be placed. You will be able to have a more accurate estimate of the structure if you will take measurements onsite.
- Make preliminary design sketches
Once you have decided on the project/s that you want to work on, you should, then, have some preliminary design sketches made that can serve as guides for the contractor. These conceptual sketches can be turned into detailed blueprints.
More complex designs might need to be illustrated as 3D computer models for better visualization. A complex woodwork design, for example, can have several moving parts that need to interlock at certain configurations so precision is important.
One example of complicated design is a round dining table that can be expanded to accommodate many diners but can be converted into a bench.
- Ask for price quotes and set your budget
Setting your budget is difficult if you don’t know the specific costs of materials and labor. You should ask for price quotes from different woodwork or joinery companies to know the average cost.
You should also know their areas of expertise and compare the quality of their services. It is only then that you can set a realistic budget for a particular project.
- Hire a contractor for your project
Once you have established the type of project, the design and budget, you can now decide on which contractor to hire.
You should choose a contractor that will provide you with top quality services at a reasonable price. If the project is complex and large, hire several specialized contractors to maintain productivity and work efficiency.
Rachel Hennessey manages the Pools and Landscaping Division of Hennessey LLC. She also works on Tender and Pre-Qualification and brings in new business to the company’s Construction, Interiors and Civils Division.