The classic clawfoot bathtub will never go out of style. If you own one, do not get rid of it, instead, try to refinish it and it will end up looking as good as new. As against common misconception, refinishing a clawfoot bathtub will not take up a lot of time. We help you refinish the classic and elegant bathtub for your home.
Everything you will need
In order to successfully refinish the bathtub, you will need sandpaper, crescent wrench, screwdriver, palm sander, bags, pressure sprayer, chemical resistant gloves, and mask and plastic bags. Additionally, you will be required to purchase certain materials from the market which include primer, hoses, tape, a bonding agent, putty, degreaser, paint stripper and pliers with a channeled lock.
Follow the steps to refinish a clawfoot bathtub
If you want to learn how to refinish a clawfoot bathtub, here are a few simple and easy to follow steps for you.
- The first and foremost step is to remove the tub. This will need a lot of physical effort since the tubs are known to be heavy. Shut off the flow of water and disconnect the water lines. Once the tub is removed, place it in a vented area since you will be working with chemicals on it.
- Now, make sure you have the entire work area covered with drop cloths in order to protect it from the chemicals. Use a paint stripper and get the latex off the tub. Depending on the paint used in the tub, you might have to apply a lot of stripping agent.
- Now is the time to clean the tub. Use a strong cleaner like lacquer thinner or methylene chloride to remove any remnants of the paint. After this, rinse the tub with water and get rid of the chemicals and water in a safe manner.
- You can finally degrease the whole tub now. Add some water and pour a degreaser which will help clean the drain and get rid of all the dirt which has been built up over the years. Spray the adhesive on the tub now and cover those areas which you will not be repainting.
- For the next step, apply the primer to the tub using a paint spray gun. The process will be easier and faster for you. It is ideal to do three coats on the inside and the outside.
- For finishing the process, add a finishing coat of paint with the use of a sprayer. Again apply three or four coats of the final paint and wait for 15 minutes between each coat.
- Once done, you can shift the tub back to the bathroom and get the drain pipe in the water line.
With these simple and easy to do steps, you can refinish your clawfoot bathtub by yourself. You do not need to call for a professional or get rid of the tub. After refinishing, the tub will look as good as new.